Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Garde Manger - Salads

One of the courses I have to take for the culinary program is "garde manger." It literally means "to keep to eat."

The goal of the class is to learn how to do:
  • salads
  • dressings, vinegars, oils
  • appetizers, canapes, and hors d'oeuvres
  • hot and cold, open and close sandwiches
  • garnishes
  • buffet presentation - color, height, focal point, and platter presentations
I really enjoy the class because you know me, I love me some sandwiches, buffets and appetizers. I often get frustrated because I feel like I am always behind and work at a slower pace than my classmates. Although, many of them have taken Basic Culinary (which I am in) and Advanced Culinary so they are very familiar with everything in the kitchen. Their arrogant attitudes grind on my nerves and I find myself struggling not to "accidentally" backhand them with a sauté pan. Anger management at its best. On a more positive note, I am learning how to make really delicious food and present them in an aesthetically pleasing manner. And then we get to devour everyone's dish at the end of class! How tragic right?

I took some pictures with my cell the other day (forgive the crappy quality) but thought I would share them on here because most were quite scrumptious.



  • Someone did guacamole in little cucumber cups with a basic salad in the middle with blue cheese, bacon, tomato flowers and bell peppers.


  • This was a pan seared tuna salad with hard boiled eggs, green bell peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes. Not sure how he cooked the tuna but it could have tasted better.


  • This was the first salad my partner and I made with Roquefort cheese dressing. I was panicking because I was the last one done but it turned out prettier than I expected.

  • White Bean Salad - I hate beans and this was delicious


  • This is our buffet set up for the Mayonnaise/Emulsions/Salads section


If anyone is interested I will try to post the recipes for these - just leave a comment and I'll dig them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment